Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Cloning Friheten for personal use*

The making of a sofa bed


 IKEA currently has 423 stores spread across 52 countries. None of them happen to be where I live now. Although their products are pretty affordable, shipping them doesn't come cheap. So I got this idea!

Can't buy it? Make it!

 The living room feels empty without furniture, and a big L-shaped sofa might be just what I need. I was interested in click-clack at first, they turn into a bed, very useful when hosting friends. But then I discovered FRIHETEN, and it was love at first sight. Great design, and costs $700, roughly my budget. But then .. I got heartbroken :( It cannot be shipped to my place.. I'll spare you the details here: It turns out, I'd have to rent a whole container?!
So I decided to make one instead, customized to my taste and needs, provided that it does not exceed $700 with the same or a better build quality.

Behind the title: IKEA's products names are not made up, there's actually a naming system. FRIHETEN is no exception to this rule, it means "the freedom" in Swedish, but it's also a tiny village located in 64°49'01.4"N 17°26'15.8"E

2 comments: